2 different python versions / how to install packages?

Doveclaw doveclaw at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 25 22:20:42 EST 2003

Just wondering, but why would this be a problem. Fedora, like many Linux
distributions, has the irritating habit of installing the entire
distribution under /usr without making logical use of the /usr/local
tree. You just download the source, do the traditional
configure/make/make install dance and your good to go. The only
difference is you must type python2.3 since the python in /usr/bin will
take precedence over the one in /usr/local/bin. I'm using Fedora right
now, and all though I have not yet installed 2.3 on this distribution
the above is the standard way to install Python and I can't find much of
a reason as to why this wouldn't work.

--
Doveclaw <doveclaw at users.sourceforge.net>
http://horizon2.sourceforge.net