Explanation of macros; Haskell macros

Stephen J. Bevan stephen at dino.dnsalias.com
Wed Nov 5 21:39:43 EST 2003

Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:
> Stephen J. Bevan wrote:
>  >  However, lots
>  > of people take the AWK-like approach because it works for them with
>  > whatever language they are currently using.
>
> But the question is "why macros?" Answer, so you do not have to use Awk.

That seems to be the question you want to answer, but I don't think it
is the question others are really asking based on the fact that the CL
macro examples haven't obviously won many over.  I explained in the
message to which you responded one approach that can be taken in order
to sell macros more effectively IMHO.  I have no desire to debate the
merits of that approach, people can use it or ignore it as they see fit.