speed of spambayes?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Nov 30 19:45:06 EST 2003

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Can someone using spambayes tell me about how fast it runs?  I'm using

Damned slow if you're on dialup and IMAP with SSL.  At least, it used
to be, but that was a while back...

> Spamassassin right now but it takes around 1.5 seconds to process a
> message on a 2 ghz Athlon.  I believe part of that time is spent doing
> network lookups to check the source addresses against various spam
> blacklists.  I want to crunch through several gigabytes of spam
> folders to see if any legitimate messages got trapped, so need a fast

Well, that's only a couple of days even if it's mostly CPU :-)

IIRC, I don't think spambayes can be much slower than that -- I could
tell roughly how much was CPU and how much network when I used it,
because I could watch the lights blinking on my modem.

> classifier with a low false negative rate (it's ok if the false
> positive rate isn't so low, since almost all the messages in these
> folders are already spam).

You might want to tune it a bit first, then.

John