Strange import bug

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Nov 24 18:53:52 EST 2003

Colin Brown wrote:

> "Adeodato Simó" <asp16 at alu.ua.es> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1043.1069714565.702.python-list at python.org...
> The first (default) entry in sys.path is '', which means (I think) the
> current directory.

Not quite true, as I recall.  I think it means "the directory from
which the main script was loaded", which is often but not always
the same thing...  this is so that other .py files that are in the
same directory as the main script can be found without any other
magic.

(And if you think about it, loading scripts from the current directory
could be a security risk, or at least produce surprising results in
some cases.)

-Peter