good book on multithreaded programming with Python

Nick Vargish nav+posts at bandersnatch.org
Wed Nov 19 11:42:43 EST 2003

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

> Do you *really* want
>   concurrent programming with Python
> or
>   programming with Python's threads
> or
>   Python programming with low-level threads

Yes, please.

I'm not the OP, but right now I'm porting a C/C++ program from Win32
to Python on Linux and OS-X. The original program relies quite heavily
on threading.

A book that covers all the above options would really help me figure
out the optimal approach to this project. I'm especially concerned
that the GIL will make a pure-Python approach risky, since this
application involves a fair abount of network data and real-time data
processing.

As it is, I have to read several discussions of each
approach. Unfortunately, on this project learning time is not billable
time. (Fortunately, experimentation is billable, and with Python,
learning and experimenting are often one and the same...)

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')