Am I the only one who would love these extentions? - Python 3.0 proposals (long)

David M. Wilson dw-google.com at botanicus.net
Mon Nov 10 18:52:20 EST 2003

"Georgy Pruss" <SEE_AT_THE_END at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<JEJrb.76675$v82.4308290 at twister.southeast.rr.com>...

> -- No `...` as short form of repr();

I have to agree here, the backtick syntax makes no sense to me at all.
Distinguishing between backticks and single quotes can be hard,
especially at 4am. On top of that, the syntax does not hint at what it
does, unless the reader is a unix type who has used backward shells
and languages all his life. :)

Even then, why repr()? Why not eval() or <insert crazy os.popen
shortcut>?

> -- No '\' for continuation lines -- you can always use parenthesis;

When reading complex expressions at speed, I have found that bumping
into a '\' in the absence of another continuation indicator (eg.
indentation) improves my ability to comprehend what I am reading. Once
again, this is one of those "4am'ers":

    a = x/y+(1^2+(3+u(b(4**5)))//3

Quickly now! Without counting the parens, is the expression complete?
Time's up. Now:

    a = x/y+(1^2+(3+u(b(4**5)))//3  \

David.