First Impressions of Linux GUI Programming

R.Marquez ny_r_marquez at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 09:48:58 EST 2003

davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk (David Boddie) wrote in message news:<4de76ee2.0311141306.16daaeb1 at posting.google.com>...
> ny_r_marquez at yahoo.com (R.Marquez) wrote in message news:<8a27e309.0311131251.6fe5df0d at posting.google.com>...
>
> > What I mean is that, in Windows Explorer, I am able to select a few
> > arbitrary files and/or directories, right click on them and send them
> > to an app as parameters.  That way, the app could perform a certain
> > job on each one of the selected files.  I've now heard that I'll have
> > to wait until KDE 3.2 comes out to be able to do this, since it will
> > allow one to define custom context menu
> > entries.  I just hope that I will be able to easily write them through
> > Python. (I wonder if GNOME will have something similar.)
>
> Is the following URL at all helpful or is the interface too inflexible?
>
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/servicemenus.html
>
> David

Wow!  That works very well.

In Windows, there is a limmitation on the "Send to" functionality that
only allows about 512 characters to be passed on.  So if the file path
is deep or if there are a lot of files, Windows complains with a (very
misleading) error.

However, in KDE I configured a Service Menu for one of my little
utilities that accepts files and directories as parameters, and I was
able to pass 1569 items to it without a problem.  I love it!  Thank
you very much for the tip.