New Guy

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Thu Nov 20 01:14:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:37:45 +0100, Irmen de Jong wrote:
> Other editors work with tabs while editing, but provide the option to
> convert leading tabs to spaces on file-save.  That's what I'm using
> for code that's shared .

The best, IMO, is an editor that uses spaces in all internal and
external representations of the file, but during editing allows
indentation to be backspaced as though composed of tabs (of the same
size as the specified indent width).

Vim does this (:set softtabstop=4 expandtab); I believe Emacs can also
do it.

--
 \      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of |
  `\            thought which they avoid."  -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard |