Execution state persistence for workflow application

Chui Tey nospam at nospam.com
Sat Nov 29 16:36:23 EST 2003

I hacked together a python vm coded in python not too long ago and I managed
to get it to hibernate and then resume. It is not too difficult. You should
search Google for the following keywords for other similar projects:

process reification
mobile code
checkpointing

The key issues are

a) Most non-trivial workflows aren't simple programs. They are event driven
and tasks may run concurrently. For example, see how Zope's (the web site)
workflow for submission, acceptance, retraction of published documents. You
will need to write pretty convoluted program in python to express the states
that are involved.

b) Open file handles, sockets need to be restored across sessions

c) Most of these problems can only be overcome by a language that support
workflow semantics, and python and most C style languages are not quite
enough

CT

news:3FC3443B.92709051 at hotmail.com...