Paging Mr. Rettig [ws Re: Explanation of macros; Haskell macros]

prunesquallor at comcast.net prunesquallor at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 11:34:27 EST 2003

Duane Rettig <duane at franz.com> writes:

> Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:01:58 -0800, Duane Rettig wrote:
>>
>> > With this much openness, it doesn't seem unreasonable
>> > to expect a debugger to be able to use such information to make macros
>> > and the forms they expand into completely debuggable and steppable at
>> > any desired level.
>>
>> Does any debugger do this?
>
> Most Lisp debuggers will do this with compiled code.  I know of none which
> do this to compiled code without recompilation.

MIT Scheme (which we all know is not Common Lisp) keeps around enough
debug information to determine the source code being executed at each
step in the compiled code.  I don't recall if there is a compiled code
stepper per se, but crawling down the stack in compiled code shows the
source code that was being evaluated.

--
~jrm, who personally knows someone who had an intimidating lunch
with John McCarthy