Problem with McMillans Installer

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.N0SP4M.com
Mon Nov 10 10:35:24 EST 2003

Mikael Lexén wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have the following code
>
> fileName="test.txt"
> inputFile=file(fileName,'r')
> b = unicode(inputFile.read(), 'utf-8')
> inputFile.close()
>
> outputFile=file(fileName,'w')
>
> print >> outputFile, b.encode('iso-8859-1')
>
> outputFile.close()
>
> This code works ok. Then I use the Installer and made a --onefile
> "binary". The building process is also ok but when I try to execute the
> program I get the following error
>
> c:\python\siebel>convert "copy of test.txt"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<string>", line 18, in ?
> LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
>
> I change to --onedir build and get the same result. I did some  tests
> and found that if I put the "encodings" directory (from
> ".../python22/lib" directory)  in the  "--onedir" directory everything
> works ok . So my question is how can I tell the Installer to get the
> "encodings" directory  in the build process?

Expicitely importing the codecs module in the Python program should solve the
problem.

BTW, McMillan Installer has its own mailing list (see
http://trixie.triqs.com/mailman/listinfo/installer). You'll usually get quicker
and/or better answers if you post your questions there rather than on c.l.py.

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric dot brunel at pragmadev dot com> -