Leo + Python: the ultimate scripting tool: Conclusion

Nick Vargish nav+posts at bandersnatch.org
Wed Nov 12 10:21:46 EST 2003

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> Your request is unnecessary to the purported purpose and, to at least
> three people, obnoxious.

At least four people.

> Furthermore, I believe universal implementation of that system would
> be terrible, both socially and technically.

Exactly, this is the root of why this spam-prevention tactic is
awful. It turns people who want to communicate with each other into
supplicants for for the other's time.

There are several ways to communicate as the leader of an open-source
project. One is of condescending arrogance, to wit, "My time is so
important that you must jump through hoops to speak to me." The other
is one of helpful cooperation. "Thanks, I'm really busy right now,
I'll address the issue you raised as soon as I can."

It's left as an excercise to the reader which category I see Edward's
tactic falling into. :^)

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')