Python's simplicity philosophy

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Nov 19 21:00:05 EST 2003

Aahz wrote:

> Huh?!?!  uniq has always to my knowledge only worked on sorted input.
> Reading the man page on two different systems confirms my knowledge.

uniq doesn't care whether the input is sorted or not.  All it does is
collapse multiple consecutive duplicate lines into a single line.  Using
uniq in conjunction with sort is certainly a common mode, but it's
hardly required.

/  \
\__/ There are no dull subjects. There are only dull writers.
    -- H.L. Mencken