plotting data against a time axis

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Nov 18 16:25:03 EST 2003

I wrote in news:mailman.763.1068934798.702.python-list at python.org
> Subject: plotting data against a time axis

The problem has now been solved.

Let I revive an old Usenet tradition, and post a summary of the thread.

First I would like to thank everyone for their responses.

Dennis Lie Bieber pointed out I could convert it all to
integers and use integers on the x-axis. A problem with
this solution was that it would not become very readable,
and the resulting plot was meant for publication online.

Paul Mcguire explained how _not_ do to it: it is not practical
to simply sort it with YYYYMMDD numbers, because of the large
delta's between months and especially between years. This is, of
course, true.

John Hunter pointed me to the matplotlib library. A problem was
that I would have to convert them to numbers, and I didn't want
do to so, because of the problem described above.

I have chosen for the solution by Alexander Schmolck, who advised
to have a second look at Gnuplot, because it turned out to be easy
to learn. I have been playing with it for a few hours. The result
has been published on my homepage:

http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/stats.png

It is automatically updated every day.
Only disadvantage of this solution: I am not using Python for it ;)

thank you all,
Gerrit.

--
135. If a man be taken prisoner in war and there be no sustenance in
his house and his wife go to another house and bear children; and if later