Leo + Python: the ultimate scripting tool: Conclusion

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Nov 19 10:52:58 EST 2003

Brad Clements wrote:

> "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> > I'm using TMDA right now, which is remotely similar but doesn't
> > require the "reason", just a real mailbox and a living person or
> > an autoresponder...  even so, this whole thing is starting to make
> > me rethink even that approach.
>
> What's the difference between TMDA and what Edward is using? Email vs. a Web
> confirmation. While I prefer simply replying to an email message, I don't
> see *that* much difference between the two.

TMDA does not ask for justification (as in a written explanation of why
I should read your mail).  It is merely a means of verifying that you
sent me the email with a real reply address (i.e. one capable of getting
mail back to something which is capable of replying back again...)  In
other words, there is a real email account associated with the email,
and if it's spam I can complain to your service provider and have your
account pulled.

The difference is at least one of degree of convenience: with TMDA you
just hit "Reply" to the confirmation request, *ONCE ONLY*, and after
that you are free to send as many emails as you like (until I get upset
and blacklist you, perhaps :-).  You never have to justify why you
think I should spend my time reading your email.  Sure, I might not
actually read it anyway, but at least it's a token amount of your
time, once ever, to confirm to my server that you really exist.

(Not sure about EK's web-based tool: does it require justification
for each message, or only once, the first time you send him one?)

And if you are about to make the point that yes, it's just a matter
of degree, but that I'm still imposing on those trying to communicate
with me: well, I did say I was starting to rethink even TMDA, didn't I?

My rethinking so far has been to check the stats: yesterday I received
182 messages for which confirmation requests were sent out.  So far, none
have received replies.  I have also received about 50 real emails, none of
which required confirmations because they were all long since added
to my "confirmed" list.  Yesterday was a little exceptional, in that I
received only one spam.  Normally about three or four slip through, but
I haven't been diligent about keeping my blacklist up to date so that
those spammers (who actually use real accounts) are blocked.

I think that might be as far as my rethinking gets me, for now. :-(

-Peter