Python's simplicity philosophy

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 19:03:30 EST 2003

Paul Rubin:
> Uniq should only have to work on sorted lists.

*shrug*  Okay, that's different than the unix 'uniq'
command.  I've needed the unix one more than I've
needed yours.  And I've used what can now be
written as

  unique_keys = dict.from_keys(lst).keys()

much more often.  Well, it requires that the objects
be hashable and define == while yours requires
that they define == and < (or define < and use it
twice).  Note that your uniq wouldn't work on
complex numbers because those don't define <.

Tack on a 'unique_keys.sort()' and those two lines
give pretty much what you want, except the check
that the original list is sorted.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com