First Impressions of Linux GUI Programming

GrayGeek jkrepsBEAR at FISHneb.rr.com
Wed Nov 12 18:06:17 EST 2003

R.Marquez wrote:

> I hope I don't bore you with this personal experience.  But, I hope
> the details are helpful for other Python and/or Linux newbies, or for
> those thinking about becoming such.
>
> I have been using Python on Windows for a few years now.  One of the
> things that attracted me to Python was the fact that it offered the
> possibility of learning to program in Linux wile not even using Linux.
>  I recognized a few years back that Linux would eventually be the
> platform I would use, once it matured a little.
>
> My first Python GUI toolkit to learn was wxPython, and I have nothing
> but good things to say about it.  But, after a while I began looking
> for an ide to avoid some of the tedious aspects of coding the GUI.  I
> am still not completely settled on any one of them, but for some small
> utilities that I've written I have enjoyed using PythonCard the best.
> I have also heard great things about PyQt, however I have been
> discouraged to try it since, on Windows, there is no GPL version (I
> think that is a mistake on Trolltech's part, but that is another
> issue).
>
> I recently received a copy of Mandrake 9.2 (included in the December
> 2003 issue of Linux Format magazine), so I decided to install it on a
> test machine.  Everything went smooth and it looks beautiful.  It
> comes with Python 2.3 already installed.  I had a few minutes to
> spare, so I decided to take a quick look at PyQt.  I downloaded the
> following rpms:

Isn't Linux Format a hoot!  I really love the DVD (or 2 CDs) that come with
every issue.  I find the articles are first class and delve into specifics
for apps, utilities, distros, what ever.   I've subscribed to Linux Journal
for years, but compared to Linux Format LJ is hollow.

BTW, Have you tried Boa-Constructor, a GUI RAD dev tool that uses wxPython?

--

-
GrayGeek