Python Win32 - Non-admin install

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Nov 27 16:55:04 EST 2003

Jeff Wagner wrote:

> I just tried to install Python Win32 (win32all-163.exe) and right after the install, I am getting
> the message:
>
> "As this is being installed as a non-admin user, certain COM features will not work correctly.
> You will not be able to implement COM objects in Python (but you should be able to use other COM
> objects).
> Active Scripting is also not supported."
>
> I am on a WinXP box logged on as admin. Why am I getting this message? Is there anywhere in the
> registry I can make a change so win32all will do a correct install as admin so all the features will
> work?

Python itself has been installed with non-admin permissions.  This was
probably done by setting the approapriate checkbox in the main Python
installer.  The win32all installer has detected this, as it found the
Python related registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER rather than
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  The only way to fix it is to uninstall Python
itself, then re-install that as admin.

Mark.