PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Vamsi Mudrageda gte181u at prism.gatech.edu
Sun Nov 2 13:52:26 EST 2003

I am kind of new to Python, and after trying and using wxPython, I found
it kind of lacking in easy-to-read documentation, speed at loading, and
GUI response-time.

So I am looking for an another GUI toolkit that is cross-platform for
Python, and am leaning toward PyQt (PyGTK is kind of dull looking in
comparison).  Unfortunately, although TrollTech says Qt is
cross-platform, its license strategy has me a bit confused.  So here is
to hoping someone can help...

Objective:
   Develop/Write a program for personal use on my Linux using PyQt.  Be
able to also run it on Windows.

Questions:
1) Is it legally possible to do that?
2) Do I need to buy a license from TrollTech?
3) Can I create a .exe file for my windows on my Linux and copy it over?
  (I would like to develop the program entirely on Linux, but make
executables for other platforms).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you guys have another GUI
toolkit for python, then please by all means...

Thx.