CGI Question

Dietrich Epp dietrich at zdome.net
Mon Nov 10 14:42:52 EST 2003

On Nov 10, 2003, at 10:35 AM, davedo2 wrote:

> I've been running Python 2.2.3 developed cgi scripts as localhost on
> XP using Apache 2.0.47. If I use a tiled background it displays
> properly when I open the generated pages with IE 6.0, but they do not
> display if I use Netscape 7.01. I've even tried copying the source for
> a site I found on the web which uses tiling, moving a copy of the
> image into the local library I have defined and modifying the script
> accordingly. Now, when I open that page from the web using Netscape
> the tiling works (that's why I picked it) but opening it with Apache
> running from my local copy the background stays blank under Netscape
> while again, the same script displays properly under IE. Could someone
> please explain what needs to be tweaked to make things work properly
> with Netscape? Many thanks...Dave

This is really a CSS question.  Put:

background-image:url("image.jgeg");

in your CSS under the appropriate (body) tag.  Putting it in the BODY
tag itself is almost as bad as using tables for layout.  This should
work almost any browser (except crufty ancient ones).  I suggest
looking at the HTML / XHTML / CSS standards at http://www.w3.org, or
looking for CSS tutorials online.