Use of GPLed Python extension modules

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Fri Nov 28 04:01:21 EST 2003

Jarek Zgoda <jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl> wrote in message news:<bq5s23$crr$1 at atlantis.news.tpi.pl>...

> If you cann't accept GPL, just don't use free software that is licensed
> under GPL. Seems simple and reasonable.

Yes, I hate this ill-informed commentary that surfaces regularly,
presumably commissioned by Steve Ballmer, which typically dredges up
the scenario that "your employees somehow download GPL software and
put it in your closed source product", then using it to claim that
upon being busted by the FSF, that the GPL was "viral", has "infected
your product" and was endorsed personally by Karl Marx.

What about the proper conclusion? That "your employees are thieves"?
Or to use a less loaded term: that "your employees and consequently
your company are intellectual property violators"?

> I write free software and license it under GPL, it doesn't matter if I
> made it available free of charge, or I want money for that -- everybody
> who receives my software, also receives full rights to this software. He
> can read sources, modify it and distribute modified versions. If they
> think that GPL will interfere with their business, they are free to
> choose other software or hire a programmer, who will write the software
> to suit their needs.

Indeed. It isn't as if anyone is mandating GPL-licensed software just
yet. ;-)

Paul