Leo + Python: the ultimate scripting tool: Conclusion

val val at vtek.com
Sat Nov 8 16:08:35 EST 2003

Ed,
    Thanx so much for your thought-provoking,
stimulating and clarifying ideas/comments.  It certainly
takes time to digest all you said.  But the very first
comment is about significance of putting a *programming
activity* in the *structured* context.  Until now,
a command line/shell and a self-centric (or process-centric)
program model was all your assets when you need to interact
and flexibly control the highly structured, multi-tier
(exploration) activities.
    Say, in a model building environment, first you dream about
some fuzzy things, then begin chaotic actions and hopefully build
or generate a *trial* model (doc, design, etc); you then need
to run the model and evaluate its results against a certain reference
data/criteria, and based on that to modify the model (or switch
to a new one), and keep this cycle on and on in your multi-tier
automated, partially interactive exploration.  It is like
a unit-testing activity (plus optional automatic mismatch-driven
debugging) with all necessary automation support at all tiers/domains.
    For that one needs a sort of *structured* and flexible Explorer
with building, running, evaluating (including pattern recognition),
and powerful reconfiguration capabilities.
    I guess you are moving in great direction offering
the unique tool/framework for exploration of complex systems.
Biology and bioinformatics (among many other domains) might gain
a lot using the Leo/Python great combo, a powerful expansion
of Python interpreting capabilities into exploration domain which
makes Python a dynamic exploration tool with structured and flexible
control/command capabilities.
explorative-ly y'rs,
val

news:vqq69dh7rg5ne7 at corp.supernews.com...