py2exe question

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Nov 1 14:35:12 EST 2003

achrist at easystreet.com wrote:

> The error I'm getting is in module imputil.pyo, line 601, in
> import_file, module does not define init function initpywintypes23.
>
> Please, can anyone tell what this means and how to fix?

A C-coded Python extension module named XXX _must_ define (and
export) a function named initXXX so that Python knows how to
initialize it.  This error message means that a module named
pywintypes23.PYD (or .DLL) does exist, but fails to define and
export the needed function.  You might double-check about the
module's existence - I can imagine anomalous cases where this
message (somewhat misleadingly) might end up being given for
modules that just don't exist, though I don't think py2exe could
cause such anomalies (but it's a while since I studied it).

If you _do_ find the pywintypes23.PYD you can check what it
does define-and-export -- but you need some tools for that
(I'm pretty sure there are downloadable ones though).  But
fixing it sounds harder...

Alex