question about precision of arithmetic involving empirical, measured quantities Re: Unum 4.0 beta

John Benson jsbenson at bensonsystems.com
Mon Nov 17 13:39:17 EST 2003

Will this package handle approximate quantities, too?

Here's some background for the question:

Let's say you have measured the side of a square area to be 10 meters, +/- 1
meter. We want to compute the area of the square.

We are squaring a range of 9 to 11 meters, and get a resulting area range of
81 to 121 square meters. If we take the midpoint of this range as the most
representative value, we end up with (81 + 121)/2 or 101 square meters,
plus-or-minus 20 square meters! I seem to recall some rule that in a
multiplication, the total uncertainty is the sum of the quotients
(multiplicand/uncertainty of multiplicand) over all multiplicands. By this
rule, the total uncertainty then would compute as (10/1) * (10/1) or twenty
square meters, as we reckoned by explicit range calculation. But what about
the discrepancy between 100 and 101?

Whenever arithmetic is done involving things like volts and m/sec (as
opposed to apples, bananas and people), you necessarily end up with problems
like this. However, I got through a few years of college physics and
chemistry without anyone ever worrying about the real uncertainties, beyond
the simple "significant figures" approach for multiplication and the
comparative precision approach for addition.