Function Name Resolution Problem

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Nov 4 11:07:10 EST 2003

Haoyu Zhang wrote:

> Dear Freinds,
> I am learning Python throught the book "Learning Python" published
> by O'Reilly. In its 4.6.2, the author gave an example about incorrect
> However, when I tested it in my python, it works correctly. So is
> it because the standard changes? Or any other reasons? The version
> in our university's server is 2.2.1.

"Learning Python" is describing Python 1.5.2 -- back then, things
did indeed work as the book says.  Many years have passed since,
and a second edition of "Learning Python" (updated to 2.2 at least,
perhaps with some notes on the tiny additions of 2.3 wrt 2.2) will
be out in December (latest estimate -- they're WAY late wrt the
earlier estimates, which were to be several months ago).

Alex