a scipy installation problem?

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Sat Nov 22 10:46:47 EST 2003

avik <avharut at netscape.net> wrote:
> Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com> wrote in message
>> What happens if you do "import scipy" instead of "from scipy import *"?
>>
>> "from ... import *" is _almost_ always a bad idea anyway, since it
>> clutters up your namespace. It also causes issues with the reload()
>> function. Avoid that usage unless you *really* know what you're doing.
>
> Actually, up to now (during a short time, anyway) I have always used
> "import <module>" without having any special reason to avoid "from
><module> import *" :-).
> In the case of scipy I just tried out the first thing that's written
> in its short tutorial and
>
> the same is with that:

> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Regards

OK, so "from ... import *" isn't the culprit.

I see in your original post that you downloaded the binaries and copied
them into your site-packages. It may be that the binaries you downloaded
were linked against a library version you don't have. Try downloading a
source archive and doing "python setup.py install" to install it. I'm
guessing that will fix the segfault problem.

--
Robin Munn
rmunn at pobox.com