Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Tue Nov 18 01:14:44 EST 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:
>Fergus Henderson wrote:
>>Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:
>>>
>>>That's the whole point of my argument.
>>
>> Then it's a pretty silly argument.
>>
>> You ask if we can implement eval, which is an interpreter,
>> without including an interpreter?
>
>Right.

Then the answer is obviously no -- regardless of which language you use,
and whether it is statically typed or not.  In some cases the interpreter
might be included as part of the standard library or even as a builtin-in
language feature, in other cases it may need to be written as part of the
program, but either way, it will still need to be included.

>> I don't see what you could usefully conclude from the answer.
>
>...that you can't statically type check your code as soon as you
>incorporate an interpreter/compiler into your program that can interact
>with and change your program at runtime in arbitrary ways.

This conclusion doesn't follow.  How could it, since neither the question
nor the answer made any reference to static type checking?