case-sensitivity

Ron Adam radam2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Nov 13 19:31:56 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:58:49 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

>Ron Adam wrote:
>> 4:  The editor or IDE matches what I enter to the names and then
>> substitutes the proper case of the name at some definitive point.
>> This ensures that the case is correct and the program compiles and
>> runs normally.   If I choose a different editor then see #1 or #2.
>> correcting while editing.   Number 4 is possible to do now, but I
>> don't know of any editors that currently do it.  It would be a nice
>> option to include in one I think.
>
>Yes, looks like a nice idea for a middling-difficulty project with
>IDLE, and it would be useful even if made _particularly_ unintrusive
>(spelling correction would be done only on specific request, and
>only when feasible without ambiguity regarding e.g. standard library
>modules and names therein -- a really minimal part of [4], yet it
>would STILL save quite some trouble/hassle to those using it...).
>

>Alex

Maybe someone will try it.  I've only just started with Python about a
month ago.  However I did pick up your 'Python in a Nutshell' last
night and have already read though the first 4 chapters.  Great book
Alex!

I've programmed lightly in c, c++, java, several basics,  and even a
little assembly.  Took a course in fortran,  although I don't remember
any of it.  Also learned pascal once upon a time.

Python addresses many if not most of the complaints I've had with
those other languages. Most of which were either low level languages
that lacked high level functionality,  or high level languages that
were difficult to extend.  And then there are the visual stuff that
requires 3/4 of the code just to initialize everything.  ack!  What
surprises me most is why I haven't found Python sooner?

_Ron Adam