Rekall not longer available from theKompany.com - a fabrication

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Wed Nov 5 12:23:25 EST 2003

[John]
> Rekall is to be released under the GPL

Your website (http://www.totalrekall.co.uk) says "The GPL version would be
free for non-commercial use", which is a contradiction.  GPL'd code can be
used commercially.  The Open Source Definition
(http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php) makes this clear:

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program
from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

Rationale: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit license traps
that prevent open source from being used commercially. We want commercial
users to join our community, not feel excluded from it.

Needless to say, the GPL meets the conditions of the Open Source
Definition.

(I don't have an axe to grind over any of the issues here - I'm just
 pointing out a factual inaccuracy.)

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com