ANN: ActivePython 2.3.2 & ActivePython 2.2.3

'Trent Mick' trentm at activestate.com
Sat Nov 1 21:50:34 EST 2003

[Mark Hammond wrote]
> IMO, the very best thing AS could do would be to arrange that a win32all
> package could update the version in ActivePython.  There are a number of
> ways this could happen - I guess the one that needs the least of my time
> would be for you to have your own "ActivePython Update", built from my
> specific win32all tags in between ActivePython updates.

That is probably the most likely, i.e. a new ActivePython build for each
new win32all build/release. (ActivePython doesn't do "update" packages,
i.e. you have to uninstall the previous APy before installing the
"update"). AFAIK one _should_ be able to install a newer win32all build
overtop of an ActivePython installation. The only problems would be
ActivePython's installer perhaps complaining on uninstall, not
completely cleaning up on uninstall, and ActivePython's installer's
"Repair" functionality reverting back to its original win32all build.

> A better way that would require some of my time is to have
> win32all.exe itself find and upgrade ActivePython.

Isn't this the same thing? Unless you mean something really fancy by
"upgrade" there.

> * Drop all registry stuff, using a few .pth files
>
> This will probably happen after the next 2 or so win32all releases.  The
> second item in that list would be a good time to work out how we could
> upgrade ActivePython from win32all.

Hrm. ActivePython uses MSI and the best way to upgrade such an install
is to build MSI "update/patch" packages. I haven't ever looked into that
but I can guarantee that it involves a steep learning curve that we may
decide is not worth the trouble. Don't know though.

The ActivePython build system is much improved recently s.t. it isn't
too hard for me to whip off new builds when a new win32all comes along.
(I know I've said that before though.)

Trent

--
Trent Mick