PYTHONPATH problems

Tim Isakson loiosh13 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 08:25:42 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:13:23 +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Tim Isakson wrote:
>
>> However, it isn't finding any of the modules in the directory tree that
>> begins under /home/tim/python/PP/Examples (it's not having any problems
>> with the standard modules - as evidenced by the import of sys above).
>
> "sys" is a built-in module; Python finds that one without even looking at
> the path.
>
>> I'm at a loss - any thoughts on what I'm doing incorrectly?
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> running Python with the "-vv" flag might provide you with some additional
> clues:
>
>     $ python -vv
>     >>> import mymodule
>     # trying mymodule.so
>     # trying mymodulemodule.so
>     # trying mymodule.py
>     # trying mymodule.pyc
>     # trying /mysystem/lib/python2.1/mymodule.so # trying
>     /mysystem/lib/python2.1/mymodulemodule.so /.../
>     # trying /mysystem/lib/python2.1/site-packages/PIL/mymodule.py #
>     trying /mysystem/lib/python2.1/site-packages/PIL/mymodule.pyc
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>     ImportError: No module named mymodule
>
> (also note that you must have read access to the scripts; if Python cannot
> read a file, it treats it as if it didn't exist)
>
> </F>

Thanks for the -vv flag tip - it helped some.

Sadly (for me, at least), the problem turned out to be user error - I was
using BASH syntax for the path while within Python, and needless to say,
that didn't do the trick.

Once I changed the imports to use '.' as the delimiter, things worked
fine.

Thanks for your assistance!

Tim