Use of GPLed Python extension modules

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 22 15:03:16 EST 2003

In article <7xu14xdu8a.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
	Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
> Tim Churches <tchur at optushome.com.au> writes:
>> If a compiled Python extension module B includes code from some
>> other software A which is licensed only under the GPL, do other
>> Python programmes, C, which import module B also need to be licensed
>> under a GPL-compatible license (assuming C is/are to be distributed
>> to third parties)?
>
> It's not enough for B and C to be under "GPL-compatible licenses".
> They have to be under the actual GPL.
>
> From http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL
>
>     You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build
>     a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program
>     mean I have to GPL my program?
>
>             Yes.

Note that the question is phrased as a "proprietary vs. GPL" dichotomy. I think
the following entry is more appropriate:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLModuleLicense

"""
If I add a module to a GPL-covered program, do I have to use the GPL as the
license for my module?

 The GPL says that the whole combined program has to be released under the GPL.
 So your module has to be available for use under the GPL.

 But you can give additional permission for the use of your code. You can, if
 you wish, release your program under a license which is more lax than the GPL
 but compatible with the GPL. The license list page gives a partial list of
 GPL-compatible licenses.
"""

--
Robert Kern