Python's simplicity philosophy

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 15 05:01:27 EST 2003

Uncle Tim:
> what do you call the act of changing a real-world
> object, like a refrigerator or a wide-screen plasma TV, into a string, a
> (function, args) tuple, or a (function, args, state) tuple sufficient to
> reproduce the fridge or TV?

I call it "documenting what I own for insurance purposes."
I need the receipt and/or, for good measure, a picture of the
TV in my home.  The exercise of turning those into a string
in such a way that my insurance company will accept it as
proof is left to the student as an exercise.

Well, you did ask.  :)

Interestingly, to pickle something you can add vinegar, which
is a mild acid.  Sadly, the chemistry I know is very skewed
having come to chemistry via biophysics.  I can't tell if adding
vinegar makes the brine slightly reducing or slightly oxidizing.
It would be quite amusing if the former.

Will a Real Chemist [tm] please chime in?

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com