Talking through pipes interactively (on win32)

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.N0SP4M.com
Mon Nov 10 09:33:24 EST 2003

Jane Austine wrote:
> I need to control a command line program via python.
>
> I first tried popen2 and 3 but I couldn't find a way to talk to the
> subprocess interactively; that is, read some and then write some, and
> read some more again... (suppose controlling an interactive shell
> program) When I try this with popen family, it just hangs. I have to
> close one pipe before reading from the other.
>
> I know that there is a wonderful thing called Expect, but it's not
> available on my machine(win32).
>
> Can anyone help me out?

Can you please post a small script showing the exact problem you have?
Communicating with a program via pipes works on Windows: we do it all the time.
It can be pretty complicated, but it can be done.
--
- Eric Brunel <eric dot brunel at pragmadev dot com> -