Python's simplicity philosophy

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 14 17:30:55 EST 2003

Alex:
> Anyway, computational scientists using Python should be using Numeric
> (if they aren't, they're sadly misguided).

Or they are like me and work in a subfield where (specialized)
database searches and graph theory is more useful.  It was strange
at SciPy with all those people using NumPy and doing CFD and
our little group of computational life sciences people being rather
bored.

> Indeed, that's why 'sum' is a commonly used word in English -- exactly
> because nobody's every DOING anything like that -- while, of course,
> 'reduce' is totally obvious -- why, _anybody_ who's ever taken
> Chemistry 101 knows it means "to remove oxygen"!

While in Chemistry 102 they learn that it means to add electrons
and can occur in a non-oxygen environment ;)

http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/O/oxidreduc.html

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com