Python on Itanium Windows 64: available or planned?

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Sat Nov 1 21:37:34 EST 2003

[Bernhard Mulder wrote]
> I am using Python on Itanium Windows 64 (Server 2003) with a Win32 version.
>
> Is there a native version available or planned? Are testers needed for
> this platform?

Python should compile fine for Win64. It was ported for Win64 a few
years back (around the time of Python 2.0/1.6 I think).

There are no free binary packages kicking around out there that I know
of but a number of people do compile it themselves for Win64.  There was
some discussion on this list recently about how to do that seeing as
there is no DevStudio for Win64 (at least, that is my understanding).
One way was to export makefiles from Python's .dsp project files and use
the Win64 cross-compiler that is available with the platform SDK.

> Windows 64 is a bit unusual in that "long" is not large enough to hold
> an address.

Yup. Though I would use a stronger word than "unusual". :)

Trent

p.s. ActiveState will provide Win64 binary installers for Python on
     contract, though I don't know if that is an option for you.

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com