First Impressions of Linux GUI Programming

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Nov 14 10:28:25 EST 2003

ny_r_marquez at yahoo.com (R.Marquez) writes:
[...]
> What I mean is that, in Windows Explorer, I am able to select a few
> arbitrary files and/or directories, right click on them and send them
> to an app as parameters.  That way, the app could perform a certain
> job on each one of the selected files.  I've now heard that I'll have
> to wait until KDE 3.2 comes out to be able to do this, since it will
> allow one to define custom context menu
[...]

I never use Konqueror as a file browser, only as a web browser, but
I'm already running 3.2 and it's not particularly unstable.  I've had
a few more crashes of Konqueror than with 3.0, but that's all.

It's easy to compile, and once you check out of CVS with cvsup (no,
not "cvs up", "cvsup" is a file syncing app that takes advantage of
CVS amongst other protocols), you can easily update to the final
release when it comes out.  Just follow the KDE cvsup instructions
(google for them), with the modifications that:

1. You have to click the little green arrow in cvsup to start the
   thing downloading.  I failed to notice that :-)

2. There are a few more i18n modules added since the KDE cvsup page
   was written, so you need them in the file that tells cvsup which
   i18n modules not to download (and you need to read the cvsup FAQ to
   figure out where to put that file)

3. Remember to compile in the order: arts, kdelibs, kdebase, then
   anything else.

4. If you don't know how your kdm / xdm / gdm configuration works,
   that can admittedly be a major pain.

John