case-sensitivity

Ron Adam radam2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Nov 13 17:51:31 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:40:25 +1300, Paul Foley <see at below.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:53:32 GMT, Ron Adam wrote:
>
>>> 3. Case insensitity.
>
>> Then 'Bob and 'bOb' would be the same thing.  Even though they look a
>> little different,  I can understand this.   Simple,  easy to remember,
>> easy to use.
>
>But "Bob" and "Barb" wouldn't be the same thing, even though they look
>a little different...Americans saying "Bob" pronounce it so that I
>think they're saying "Barb" (or perhaps "Baab"), so I think these two
>(three) identifiers should be the same, to avoid confusion!  Heh.

<smile>   Ok, yes we have to draw a line somewhere when it comes o
similarities.   I don't think editors are smart enough at this time to
distinguish similar meanings across differing languages, or differing
dialects of the same language.

At some point though,  in the <far( future)>, it should be possible,
and it will be needed due to the likely popularity of voice input.
(along with good translation software too)  This is another reason
that names should not be too similar.  We would have to depreciate
terms that sound alike and do not have a clear meaning from the
context.   Of course it may be awhile before that is needed.  I would
prefer my computer not to stop me with interruptions to ask me which
similar sounding class I want to use.  ;-)

I have a voice input program someone gave me a couple of years ago
I've never tried.  Maybe I'll install it in the <near(future)> and see
what kind of problems it has entering programs.

_Ron Adam