Distinguishing cp850 and cp1252?

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sun Nov 2 20:36:13 EST 2003

I'm working on some Python code for reading files in a certain format,
and the examples of such files I've found on the internet appear to be
in either cp850 or cp1252 encoding (except for one exception for which I
can't find a correct encoding among the standard Python ones).

The file format itself includes nothing about which encoding is used,
but only one of the two produces sensible results in the non-ascii
examples I've seen.

Is there an easy way of guessing with reasonable accuracy which of these
two incodings was used for a particular file?

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/