rotor alternative?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 18 11:31:33 EST 2003

Robin Becker wrote:

> It seems that the rotor module is being deprecated in 2.3, but there
> doesn't seem to be an obvious alternative. I'm using it just for
> obfuscation. It seems we have ssl available in 2.3 for sockets, but
> there seems no obvious way to use that from python code.

For obfuscation, I'm sometimes using just plain base-64 encoding.
For extra obfuscation, you could first rot13 the string,
then zlib.compress it, then base-64 encode it.

To decypher it, people have to make a conscious decision to do so.
No security here, but I find it good enough for most obfuscations.

--Irmen