Rekall and associated software go 100% GPL

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Sun Nov 9 19:52:52 EST 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:59:28 GMT, John Dean wrote:
> It gives me great pleasure to inform you that Rekall, the
> cross-platform alternative to MS Access, is now totally GPL.

Like others have stated, I'm waiting to see if the other parties with
copyright interest in Rekall (i.e. TheKompany) agree to the release of
code under the GPL.

> In order for you to be able to download you must register with the
> Total Rekall Portal.

Or, wait for someone who has already downloaded it to redistribute
without this requirement, since the GPL permits this.

> The reason we have have made this a requirement is because we would
> like to be able to notify everybody when a new version becomes
> available.

Surely it would be sufficient to encourage (*not* require) users to
subscribe to a rekall-anounce mailing list?

> You should also be aware that in order for for us to continue the
> future development of Rekall we will have to charge for technical
> support, customisation, training and consulting, therefore, now that
> we have gone wholly GPL, you will have to take out a technical support
> subscription.

Sounds like a fine way to fund development and infrastructure.

--
 \      "I guess we were all guilty, in a way. We all shot him, we all |
  `\   skinned him, and we all got a complimentary bumper sticker that |