if - else

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Wed Nov 26 22:13:13 EST 2003

I'm not really sure why either version would bother to recurse (if
SumOfNumbers > 9), and then set the "return value" to 1 regardless.
Unless you snipped some of the VB code? My advice is to avoid recursion
and use a while: loop instead, if you can. I'm guessing a bit here,
because I'm not sure I have the logic right given your description. But,
with a quick bit of Googling, I think I now understand "master numbers",
at least in your context, e.g.:
http://www.simonhuggins.com/courses/cbasics/course_notes/session13.htm#e
xercise_53

So you probably want:

def MasterNumber(SumOfNumbers):
    while SumOfNumbers not in range(1, 10) + [11, 22, 33]:
        I2 = SumOfNumbers / 10    # no need for int(), since the
division returns an int.
        F2 = SumOfNumbers - (I2 * 10)
        SumOfNumbers = I2 + F2
    return SumOfNumbers

Notice that range(1, 10) produces [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]. Not the
fastest method, but it works. Oh, and the case of 10 is already handled
by feeding it through the loop again, so I dropped that short-circuit.

HTH!

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries