Using 'string.ljust' to try and hold a fixed width.......

John F Dutcher John_Dutcher at urmc.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:23:41 EST 2003

Last shot ... then I'll leave you alone...I tried your 'fixedwidth'
function.
Almost predictably....it worked perfectly in IDLE when coded as below:
It has no effect at all when employed in the CGI script however, (the
returned
values do not have trailing spaces) ??

IDLE code:
def fixedwidth(string, width=15):
    if len(string) > width:
        return string[:width]
    else:
        return string.ljust(width)
ten = 'xxxxxxxxxx'
recd = []
recd.append(fixedwidth(ten))
recd.append(fixedwidth(ten))
recd.append(fixedwidth(ten))
rec = string.join(recd,'')
print rec
#f.close()
sys.exit()

Same code placed in CGI.... BUT....the passed string came in from the
form...can't see why there should be any difference.