screensaver

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Wed Nov 12 02:51:39 EST 2003

Andy Jewell <andy at wild-flower.co.uk> wrote in message news:<mailman.637.1068574087.702.python-list at python.org>...
> On Thursday 06 Nov 2003 3:04 pm, Michele Simionato wrote:
> > I would like to disable/enable the screensaver on a Win98 box with a
> > Python script. Any suggestion? Thanks,
> >
> >                Michele
>
> Michele,
>
> there's probably a switch in the registy... check the MS site for details
> .
> i'm sure you know how to use the  winreg module ;-)
>
> good luck

Unfortunately, I am not a Windows person. Actually I mostly use
Windows to
watch DVD's, so I would like to stop the screensaver before watching
the movie and restart it afterward, in an automatic fashion. I looked
at Simon Brunning's script, the meat of it is in the following two
lines:

    # set user section of registry.
    keyHandle = win32api.RegOpenKeyEx(win32con.HKEY_CURRENT_USER,
'Control Panel\Desktop', 0, win32con.KEY_WRITE)
    win32api.RegSetValueEx(keyHandle, 'SCRNSAVE.EXE', 0,
win32con.REG_SZ, saverInstalled)

I have no idea of what it is happening here; I guess the script is
installing
'SCRNSAVE.EXE' whereas I would like to remove it :-(

            Michele