Gadfly DB in python standard library?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sat Nov 15 11:38:08 EST 2003

>>> Brian O. Bush wrote
> A while ago, I recall hearing that Gadfly might be included into the
> python standard library. What happened?
>
> As I recall, the issue was the license.

Not just the license - there's a hesitation about including a large,
complex piece of code without someone who's completely across it and
willing to support it. I attempted a while ago to do a major refactoring
of the gadfly internals to use more modern python idioms. This attempt
failed due to the complexity of the code and the lack of strong unit
tests of the gadfly internals.

This, more than the license (which I believe Aaron was quite happy to
address), was the main reason this didn't happen.

I believe there is still merit to including an SQL database being in
the standard distribution of python - personally I could live with
sqlite being included.

Anthony