Strange problems with encoding

Rudy Schockaert rudy.schockaert at pandoraSTOPSPAM.be
Thu Nov 6 11:20:39 EST 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Well, I'm from the setdefaultencoding-is-evil camp, but it sounds like
> you're in a pretty icky situation.

I wasn't even aware there are two camps. What would be the reasons not
to use setdefaultencoding? As I configured it now it uses the systems
locale to set the encoding. I'm using the same machine to retrieve data,
  manipulate it and store in a database (on the same machine).
I would like to understand what could be wrong in this case.

>>Actually, I don't care as long as the encode and decode on the same
>>machine give me back the original value.
>

> Huh?

What I mean is that I encode the data when I store it in the DB and
decode it when I retrieve the data from the DB. I do this because
SQLObject doesn't support the binary data. As long as the result that
comes back out is exactly the same as it was when it went in, I don't care.

>>>! Why can't you just encode them as utf-8 strings?  (Or, thinking
>>>about it, why doesn't SQLObject support unicode?)
>>>

>>The actual input strings don't really contain unicode text values, but
>>rather binary values i get as result from calling win32.NetUserEnum.
>

> Oh, so they're not really unicode strings at all?  Blech.  That's
> really really nasty.  Binary data should really be represented as
> (narrow) strings in Python.
I'm just doing it the easy way, I guess. I get the data from the win32
call as Unicode data, even when it contains binary data. Perhaps that I
will transform this data in a later phase to more usefull format, but
that'll depend on the need.

Perhaps the utf-16-le codec would be the
> most appropriate...

This is really not my thing. I noticed that on my system the encoding is
now set to cp1252. What would be the difference if I switched to utf-16-le?

Thanks for your explanation.

Rudy