import cx_Oracle

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Thu Nov 6 09:20:18 EST 2003

[snip]
>>>mmm... the only Oracle onnection on my box is for the 9i database.
>>>

>>So, just to clarify, on your Windows box you now have *only* Python 2.2
>>and the Oracle 9i client? I'm presuming also that your database is on
>>another machine. And you've installed the appropriate cx_Oracle binary?
>>Works for me;
>

> Your assumptions are correct.  But, it doesn't work for me.
>

>>PythonWin 2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
>>win32. Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond
>>(mhammond at skippinet.com.au) - see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further
>>copyright information.
>>'3.1'
>>[<StringVar object at 0x012AAF08>]
>>[('ANDY',)]
>> >>>

>>I also tried it with cx_Oracle version 2.5a, and then on my other
>>machine with Python 2.3, the 9i client and version 3.0a of cx_Oracle.
>>
>>So, my guess is that you are still suffering from a DLL confusion
>>(somewhere).
>

> Probably true, but JDev9 and  PSQLDeveloper doesn't have any connection
> problems.
> ??

Well, you've got me beaten. I tried to break my system by downloading
the Windows binary for Python 2.2 and Oracle8i, even though I have the
9i client - and it still worked.

The only combination I haven't tried, and I'm not going to, is the
cx_Oracle binary built against the Oracle9i client with the Oracle8i
client software which I suspect would break in the manner you describe.

As many people are successfully using cx_Oracle and you are the only one
seeing this problem I still suspect the solution to your problem is in
the combination of software you have running on your machine rather than
a bug in cx_Oracle, Python or Oracle.

Officially-throwing-in-the-towel-ly y'rs,
Andy
 From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/