Request for simple a customisable Python editor

Steve Lee stephenlee at exe-coll.ac.uk
Mon Nov 10 04:34:05 EST 2003

> Much better would be to allow the editor used to be chosen by the user,
> and supply a reasonable default.  Editors are powerful beasts, and
> forcing someone familiar with one to use a different one for your
> application is not a user-friendly design choice.
>
> Pick an editor that you think is a good default, but invoke it with a
> command-line only, *don't* build it into your application.  That way,
> you can provide a customisation option to change the editor command
> line, and the user can substitute their favourite editor if they choose.

A nice idea and I agree that we all have our own fave editor.
However I had thought of making the opening of the data from the
database 'look' similar to opening a file which suggests tweeking the
'open' UI of an existing editor. I think your idea requires selecting
files first and then invoking the editor.

I'll give it some thought as I am not really opposed to such a method
of opening files - thanks for the idea.

Steve