PyQt, Qt, Windows and Linux

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Sun Nov 2 16:15:24 EST 2003

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2003 7:28 pm, Alex Martelli wrote:
>
>>Vamsi Mudrageda wrote:
>>
>>>I am kind of new to Python, and after trying and using wxPython, I found
>>>it kind of lacking in easy-to-read documentation, speed at loading, and
>>>GUI response-time.
>>>
>>>So I am looking for an another GUI toolkit that is cross-platform for
>>>Python, and am leaning toward PyQt (PyGTK is kind of dull looking in
>>>comparison).  Unfortunately, although TrollTech says Qt is
>>>cross-platform, its license strategy has me a bit confused.  So here is
>>>to hoping someone can help...
>>>
>>>Objective:
>>>   Develop/Write a program for personal use on my Linux using PyQt.  Be
>>>able to also run it on Windows.
>>>
>>>Questions:
>>>1) Is it legally possible to do that?
>>
>>Yes.
>>

>>>2) Do I need to buy a license from TrollTech?
>>
>>Yes, or from one of Trolltech's licensed resellers of licenses.  The
>>cheapest way you can proceed, I believe, is to buy Blackadder, personal
>>edition, from theKompany.com: it comes with personal-use licenses of
>>PyQt and Qt for both Linux and Windows (I _think_ mac, too, but I don't
>>know about that).  I believe it currently costs US $70 .
>

> No - not Mac.
>
> Phil

Maybe I'm missing something new here.........

But as far as I know, you "DO NOT" need to buy a license
from TrollTech or PyQt or buy anything to give it a try, as
long as use is personal and not used in a commercial enviroment.
The only thing is you would have to make do with the older
ver.2.3(?) on windows and many do.

Although I do think BlackAdder is a heck of a deal and would
get you the newest versions for both win and linux.

This is the kind of thing that can scare away someone who
just wants to give it a try to see if they like it.
Once they give it a try, they'll be hooked forever!!!

If I'm wrong, someone let me know.

Hands down, PyQt is the way to go!!!!!!