Am I the only one who would love these extentions? - Python3.0proposals (long)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 13 08:46:28 EST 2003

"Tim Jarman" <tim.jarman at lineone.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.682.1068673868.702.python-list at python.org...
>     Enum("RED", "GREEN", "BLUE") creates constants RED=1, GREEN=2,
BLUE=3.
>     Enum(RED=1, GREEN=2, BLUE=4) creates constants RED=1, GREEN=2,
BLUE=4.
>     Enum("RED", "GREEN", "BLUE", BLACK=0) creates BLACK=0, RED=1,
GREEN=2,
> BLUE=3.
> I don't claim that this is the One True Answer but it works for me.

The apparent lack of there being One True Answer or even a close
approximation seems to be one of the barriers to a standard lib
module.  Other people would rather that Enum("RED", "GREEN", "BLUE")
create constants RED='RED', GREEN='GREEN', BLUE='BLUE'.  There have
been serious proposals on Python-Dev that the standard lib use
self-identifying constants that would at least print something more
meaningful than a number.  On the other hand, some constants
(weekdays, months) do need to be ordered other than alphabetically.

Terry J. Reedy